Mr Mukhtar Bizrah
Mukhtar Bizrah is a consultant ophthalmic surgeon at the Western eye hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. He specialises in cornea and cataract surgery. Mukhtar Bizrah is one of the few ophthalmic surgeons in the world who is board certified in the UK, Canada and Europe:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth), UK
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC), Canada
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBO), Europe
Mukhtar Bizrah is an expert in advanced corneal diseases and cataracts. His clinical interests include cataract and refractive surgeries, cornea transplants (partial and full thickness), pterygium surgery and advanced cornea diseases. He is interested in complex cornea and cataract disorders, and provides second opinions on such cases.
Core ophthalmology training at the London deanery, which included 4 years at Moorfields eye hospital and Western eye hospitals. Advanced cornea and cataract surgery fellowships at two of the world’s most renowned eye institutions: Western eye hospital (London, UK) and University of British Columbia (Vancouver, Canada).
University College London and St George’s, University of London. He won numerous awards by the time he completed undergraduate training, including London Student of the Year award, Royal Society of Medicine Brigadier Haywood prize and Wellcome Trust Research Prize.
Prizes, awards & research
Mukhtar has 30 research presentations, 15 peer-reviewed research articles, and has won 25 awards and prizes on an International, national and regional level.
Mukhtar is a strong advocate of medical education, and is the co-founder and director of the London Eye Course. This is one world’s largest ophthalmology revision courses, and attended by ophthalmologists from all continents.
Mukhtar is establishing links with the Tanzania to support ophthalmology training, and to facilitate eye healthcare service to those unable to afford this. Through the London Eye Institute, Mukhtar aims to raise £20,000 a year to support this initiative.
- University of British Columbia – Ophthalmology Teaching Award (2020)
- Royal Society of Medicine Ophthalmology Travelling Fellowship Award (2020)
- Ethicon Foundation Award (2020)
- Sir William Lister and Dorey Bequest Travel Awards (2019)
- HCA International Foundation Scholarship Award (2019)
- WCSM Education Trust Award (2019)
- TFC Frost Charitable Trust Scholarship Award (2018)
- UCLP Higher Trainee of the Year Runner Up Award (2017)
- Royal College of Psychiatrists – Runner up medical education project award (2013)
- ARVO Member-In-Training (MIT) Award (2012)
- ARVO International Travel Grant (2012)
- Foundation Year 2 Regional Audit Competition Merit (2011)
- South Thames Foundation School (STFS) Teaching Merit (2011)
- Wellcome Trust Student Elective Prize (2010)
- Royal Society of Medicine – Brigadier Haywood Prize (2010)
- University Student Selected Components (SSC) Prize (2010)
- University Clinical Sciences Merit (2010)
- University Medical Sciences Merit (2010)
- Medical Student Conference Fund Award (2009)
Extra-curricular & Community service Awards:
- Imperial College Trust Make A Difference Award (2019)
- Shortlisted for Chairman Award for outstanding contribution to Moorfields (2016)
- London Student of the Year Award (2010)
- University Gold Card Award (2010)
- University Students Union Colours Award (2010)
- Gold Klevis Kola Foundation Award (2009)
- Gold Community Education Award (2009)